A very big Hello to you all. 

When I think of Enis Blyton's book I think of a Dutch artist who's named Eelco Martinus ten Harmsen van der Beek (1897–1953), creator in the 1930s of the Flipje character and usually known as van der Beek or just Beek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmsen_van_der_Beek
Flipje-van-der-Beek

He was already well known in the Netherlands when he approached London publishers Sampson Low at the end of the 1940s.
The result was the creation of the Noddy and friends children books and still very popular. Myself was a huge fan of Enid Blyton and introduced them to my children and my children a sharing the stories with the children and so on.
The name ‘Beek’ was once tied together with Noddy. The words Pictures by Beek graced the covers of the first seven Toyland titles.       Beek-Letter-to-Enid-Blyton






 







After the artist’s death in 1953, artists Mary Brooks, Robert Lee, Robert Tyndall and Peter Wienk carried on, staying so true to the original style that one would be hard-pressed to notice any changes.




 
But the name ‘Beek’ disappeared from the cover, replaced by, a new edition. The new addition much to my sadness and disbelief had stamped blandly across the cover, to assure consumers they were purchasing the politically correct version of one of the most recognized, most beloved and sometimes controversial children’s series of all time.But as a child reading the stories I saw nothing in the books to say it was rude it didn't even enter my head. So for me, the new edition was not the same as the beautiful happy feeling books I once read.    Enid hanging out with Noddy in her study



http://nerdalicious.com.au/books/noddys-other-half-harmsen-van-der-beek/Noddy-Beek-Original-Artwork-02
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog